As posted by Dr. Mahathir Mohamad at Che Det on December 31, 2016
1. On this good day I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year.
2. 2016 had not been a very happy year for us in Malaysia. But the whole world had not had a good year either.
3. I will not repeat the litany of events which made 2016 a bad year.
4. But I note that we still see people killing people. We still see natural disasters occurring more frequently and more severely all over the world.
5. We cannot assume that worse things would not happen in the New Year.
6. We are also experiencing things in our own country which we thought could never have happened.
7. Still we must be thankful that the scale of the natural disasters are at least less severe than those in other countries.
8. But despite all these we can still resolve to do something good in the New Year.
9. Yes we did not keep our previous year’s resolution long. But this time we must resolve to keep our resolution longer. Maybe into the first quarter or the second even if not for the whole year.
10. I have resolved to keep my resolution longer.