As posted by Dr. Mahathir Mohamad at Che Det on January 30, 2012
1. A US soldier killed 24 Iraqi civilians, men, women, and children and was charged for manslaughter before a US military court.
2. US law allows for plea bargaining between the prosecutors and the accused person. Through this the soldier agreed that he would plead guilty if the charge is changed from manslaughter to dereliction of duty.
3. He was then sentenced by the court to reduction in rank to private, pay cut by two-thirds and three months jail.
4. We don’t have provision for plea bargaining in our laws. When Anwar’s Government takes over he will make our laws more modern, not so lapok(archaic) as they are now. Then those accused can bargain and the charge of whatever can be reduced so the accused can plead guilty to a lesser charge.
5. Just think, you kill 24 innocent Iraqis and get three months jail. That is justice.